Saturday, October 11, 2008

Hope in New Orleans

Abashedly, I admit that my knowledge of New Orleans pre-Katrina centered mostly around jazz, Creole food, and Mardi Gras. Since Katrina, I have learned so much more about the city and its nuances - in particular, the socio-economic divide that exists, and which has been further exacerbated by Katrina's devastation. Even with what I have learned, though, I know it's nothing to what we'll learn when we get out there in a couple of weeks. An article from yesterday's SFGate gives a perspective on what has changed - and not changed - in New Orleans since Katrina. And while it's light in content, I thought the series was a worthwhile, short read.

Through all the bits and pieces that I have read in recent weeks about New Orleans, I am struck by the ultimate message of hope that rings through. It reminds me of the time I lived in Johannesburg for a summer working on HIV/AIDS issues. Even with all the sadness that surrounds the issue, the people I met exuded strength, hope and kindness. It was a poignant reminder that there is so much more going on than the surface permits us to see - I just had to dig deeper to find it. I am sure that we'll find similar stories when we're in New Orleans in a couple weeks. I can't wait to meet some of the locals, to meet Loran and Linda, to hear their history and hope, and to bring those stories home.


No comments: