Thursday, October 30, 2008

NOLA, here we come…

I'll be in New Orleans in 38 hours, not like I’m counting. I can nearly smell the fried food, hear the jazz bands, see the unpronounceable street signs and feel the effusive hugs. I can’t wait! So, last year I fell in love with New Orleans. It was one of “those” that started as a crush and turned into a love. Something I was ready to commit to. I was fortunate to work alongside 10 Clif Bar employees in Musician’s Village (you can see photos from the trip here) last year. We partnered with Habitat for Humanity and learned how to operate the sawzall, build stairs, plume windows and work as a team. After 10 days, we left with new friends and new perspectives. It was amazing to learn about this rich culture and at the same time, learn about the tragic response. Hurricane Katrina remains in the form of spray paint on the buildings, an infrastructure in disarray and hope among the people. There is still work to be done.

I'm so grateful for this opportunity and just want to get there already!! I can't wait to meet those of you I don't already know, and really get to know those of you I already know.

My prediction: it’s going to be great

No comments: